Mold and Mildew Allergies

Allergies to Molds and MildewsAnother common allergen is molds and mildew. This is a type of fungi that live in warm and moist environments. They live both indoors and outdoors.

Indoor molds commonly grow in dark, damp and poorly ventilated areas like the basements, clothes hampers, crawl space, under the kitchen sink and bathrooms.

Outdoor molds can grow in areas with poor drainage like in compost piles or piles of decaying leaves. Presence of mold and mildew growth gives off a musty odor in the area. These molds can grow any time of the year.

Household molds are very unpleasant to see, they can appear as black spots in your shower room, slimy orange film in the kitchen drain or as fuzzy white patches on the basement floor. They are not only unsightly but they can also cause illnesses especially if you have asthma or allergies.

Whether you have mold and mildew allergies or not, prolonged exposure to these allergens can cause irritation to your skin, eyes, throat, nose and lungs. You should not disregard the presence of molds, getting rid of them will protect not only your home but also your health.


If you are sensitive to molds, you may experience allergic reactions whenever you touch or inhale these spores. Symptoms of mold and mildew allergies include red and itchy eyes, skin rash, sneezing and runny nose. Severe allergic reactions can also be experienced by individuals who are highly allergic to molds; symptoms include shortness of breath or difficulty in breathing. Asthmatic attacks can also be triggered by inhaling the mold spores by people with asthma who have mold allergies.


Aside from people who have allergies and asthma, there are also others who may be sensitive to molds; they are the elderly, infants, children, people with chronic lung disease and those who have compromised immune systems such as with cancer, liver disease, chemotherapy and HIV infection.

Eliminate the Source:

Mold and Mildew
Treating mold and mildew allergies include the elimination of these allergens from the home. Determine the places where these allergens grow, clean the floors, carpet, furniture or appliances. Fix any leaks in the bathroom, kitchen or drainage.

Although it may be difficult to eliminate all mold and mildew spores from your home, you can minimize the moisture in your home to prevent further growth of molds. Clean and fix the cause of the dampness inside your home. Merely cleaning up only the mold but leaving the cause of the problem unfixed will only cause the molds and mildews to return.

Call me to discuss your allergy symptoms and to book an appointment today!  Wendy Lind:  604-839-9789

Related posts:

  1. The Most Common Fall Allergies
  2. Managing Pollen Allergies

Speak Your Mind